Sunday, May 23, 2010

Belgrano, Italy for the Weekend!

CIAO!! Have lots to share from the weekend!
Friday we traveled to Belgrano, about a hour and half away. The family used to live there and still has their apartment. It has more city feel to me and what I am used to. But there is still a small city feel to it like Padova.
We went to his brothers house, which is absolutley beautiful! It is up on a hill that looks over the entire city. He built it 2 years ago. I am sad I did not get any pictures but I think we will go back another weekend. We went there to drop the chicks off because he has some already and lives on land. He also grows strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Then we went to Gianmarco's parents house. They are very nice, Julia and Julio. I ate rabbit!! It was actually really good. Julio, the grandfather, raised the rabbits himself. We also had polenta, which is starting to become a favorite/standard! We had it with cheese in it which I was told is unique to the region of Italy we were in. Finally, we arrived at the apartment and went to sleep.

Saturday: we woke and relaxed around the house. Today I was going to be shown Belgrano. It was very pretty. Had the cobblestone streets like Padova with shops on either side, with people walking all around. For lunch, we went to Cristina's parents apartment. They were also very nice, Ana and Palo. Reminded me of Nani and Papa. The grandfather dressed like Papa with suspenders and everything. Made me a little homesick. And I discover that my Sandone family and I have been eating pasta scriutto our whole lives, which is the name for pasta with sauce. Later that evening, Gianmarco's family came over to celebrate his birthday. He has two brothers and one sister. This also reminded me of my family and when we get together to celebrate a birthday! It was very fun and everyone was very nice and interesting.

Sunday: today was the day of the festival of Belgrano. Local famers would display their products and animals. Gianmarco's brother, Fabio, had a stand that displayed his berries made into jam. Each type, strawberry, raspberry and blackberry were very delicious. I hope to bring some home. To get to the festival we biked from the house, it was 10 miles total!! The route was very beautiful and the scenery was breath taking. Once we arrived, we walked from each stand and tried the local farmers items: cheese, salami, wine and of course jam. We were at the festival for most of the day and then biked back home. Although it was a relaxing day, everyone was exhausted. We left later in the evening to return to Padova. Cecilia became ill while at the festival, so she will stay home with me on Monday.

Here are some pictures from the weekend. Enjoy!


Stands at the festival
Cecilia-so precious!
Federico laying in the hay



The family and I biking to the festival

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth HollemanMay 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM

    How awesome!! I wish my weekend was filled with some of those same things!! :) live it up for us

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi steph, i am so glad you are having such a great experience this blogging stuff is terrific. your dad is storing his welding equipement in your room. we miss you tons.xoxo. leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww I wish you would have gotten the memo to bring your spandex gear :) lol miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete